Arden GardenerS Group
The Arden Gardeners are creative and sociable Arden on the Severn residents, who love gardening, flowers and trees, birds and our Arden Bog. We party together, and work together, in our wonderful community. Each year we have a big Plant Sale, and a summer Garden Crawl. Some Arden Gardeners move away, but keep coming back for our get-togethers. This is not a formal "Garden Club." There are no fees or dues. The Plant Sale is our only fundraiser.
Contact: Cindy Straight • Coordinator • Arden Gardeners Group
Arden gardeners Year
• Monthly Meetings at the home of a member
• Speakers on topics of nature, environment and plants
• Work Parties plant native plants and trees, and naturalized bulbs, and care for various grounds locations in Arden, including the Memorial Garden
• Plant Sale is in early May each year
• Scholarship for local college students studying horticulture, or environmental studies, or to become a Master Gardener
• Garden Crawl the gardens of various members to see what thrives in Arden
• Anne Arundel County Fair exhibitions are installed by members in many categories. Sociable Arden Gardeners visit the Fair for an evening each year
• Wreath Workshops for young to elder to gather at Town Hall in December and learn to make wreaths and swags with greens from members' gardens
AN IDEA THAT FLOWERED
The idea for Arden Gardeners came from Susan Guyaux in 1997. Having recently moved to Arden, she was looking to connect fellow residents that shared similar interests in gardening as well as giving back to the community. At that time, she wrote an article for the NewsBuoy asking if anyone else would be interested in starting a group that could share plants, ideas, information, and earth-friendly gardening techniques. Several people responded to her organizing call and they continue to act as members of Arden Gardeners today.
THE WAR OF THE ROSES
The first project that the new group took on was clearing out the invasive roses that were choking out the existing cedar trees at the Arden Park ball fields. The projects went well and a sense of community was fostered. Motivation was building within the group and it eventually led to the application and approval for a Bayscaping Grant that funded the creation of a garden at Town Hall, the Butterfly Garden, and the Unity Garden above Beach Two.
ANNUAL PLANT SALE
In more recent times, it is well known that Arden Gardeners hold an annual plant sale to help fund the maintenance of the existing gardens and more ambitious projects within the neighborhood. The plant sale items are usually a mixture of donated plants from local residents and a large assortment of nursery stock.
PROJECTS AROUND ARDEN
The gardeners maintain the main sign and garden at the entrance to our community, the Butterfly Garden, and the Unity Garden. In addition to working within Arden, the gardeners have branched out and are exchanging plants, ideas, and advice with other Severn Watershed communities.
The Arden Gardeners members also enjoy road trips to local gardens and other interesting places, including the National Botanical Gardens in Washington, DC.
NEW PARTICIPANTS ARE WELCOME
Arden Gardeners is made up of a mix of people who share a love of gardening and interest in making new friends. New members are always welcome. Feel free to get in touch with us! Thank you from all of the Gardeners!
USEFUL Gardening LINKS