A TIMELINE: POWER TO THE PEOPLE
After Arden On The Severn was founded, an outside company by the name of Beach Shores Inc. operated and maintained the beaches, boat ramps, and public amenities under the name of Sunrise Beach Inc. From 1955 through 1975, they managed to do an ever-increasingly poorer job.
January 1973: The Arden Civic Association created a "Beach Buying-Liaison Committee". The committee approached Sunrise Beach Inc. and began a campaign of investigation, financial campaigning and shaping future bylaws while negotiating a beaches purchase price.
December 17, 1975: Arden Beaches Inc. was incorporated and the members of the beaches committee became the first ABI Board of Directors. The residents of Arden raised funds through loans and purchase contributions. A total of 420 households contributed to the creation of Arden Beaches Inc. Forty-six loans and 354 contributions were received by the committee with an additional 4 partial payments and 16 pledged (but unpaid) contributions.
April 29, 1976: Arden Beaches Inc. (ABI) bought the property from Beach Shores, Inc. for $60,000 and the residents of Arden became the owners of the beaches and boat ramps.
August 9, 1976: The first meeting of the ABI shareholders took place and formal elections were held to fill the elected positions of the corporation.
Excitement was rampant and the beaches were overrun with residential volunteers who not only removed trash, but also contributed time, work hours, and personal financing to renovating many of the piers, boat ramps, and beach furniture that had not been taken care of. This was the start of the effort that governs the operating principles of ABI. In the spirit of those community-minded people, the organization re-incorporated as a non-profit civic association and has since served to promote and enhance the quality of life for children and families in Arden On The Severn.